[Kurt Vonnegut] often said he had to be a writer because he wasn’t good at anything else.
He was not good at being an employee.
Back in the mid-1950s, he was employed by Sports Illustrated, briefly. He reported to work, was asked to write a short piece on a racehorse that had jumped over a fence and tried to run away.
Kurt stared at the blank piece of paper all morning and then typed, “The horse jumped over the fucking fence,” and walked out, self-employed again.”
Every day of my life.
God I needed this today.
Automatic reblog for Vonnegut content.
- nicholefoo reblogged this from eyeheartnewyork
- nicholefoo likes this
- diamonds-n-rubies likes this
- margann reblogged this from johnwilkestooth
- prestia likes this
- mrenzulli reblogged this from jhermann
- mondaymorningbarbecue reblogged this from rudel
- hannadercan likes this
- brenttharshman likes this
- rudel reblogged this from andthenitripped
- sngk likes this
- halphillips likes this
- edwardredmaynes likes this
- enzovieira reblogged this from eyeheartnewyork
- theredbearrin reblogged this from 1bar
- urbnmdn likes this
- andthenitripped reblogged this from jonbershad
- andthenitripped likes this
- juliessuitcase reblogged this from jhermann
- 1bar reblogged this from johnwilkestooth
- thematthewbriancohen likes this
- ravedothstadt likes this
- johnwilkestooth reblogged this from jhermann
- heykurt likes this
- stophittingyourself likes this
- claireayoublaughingatthings likes this
- ryanxilliams reblogged this from jonbershad
- jonbershad reblogged this from jhermann
- jhermann reblogged this from eyeheartnewyork
- photopillar likes this
- thepushback reblogged this from eyeheartnewyork
- normal-ee likes this
- eyeheartnewyork posted this